These subject directories are often a good place to start particularly when they are created by people like librarians.
- ALA Great Websites for Kids - Websites for kids compiled by the American Library Association.
- CyberSleuth Kids
- DiBDaBDoo - This subject directory searches approximately 2 million kid/teen safe sites daily.
- iPL2 - KidSpace - An information portal created and maintained by the School of Information at the University of Michigan and the Librarians' Internet Index.
- KidsClick - Search by subject in this directory of over 6400 sites chosen and organized by librarians.
- KidsKonnect - A site created and maintained by educators. Search by subject or by alphabet.
- Enchanted Learning
Search Engines For Kids
You can make searching for information, including pictures, safer by going into the "Preferences" or "Settings" of the search engine and changing to "Strict Filtering" or "Family Filtering" to make sure that results are appropriate for students. Google's default setting is for "moderate" filtering.
- AskforKids - A search engine that allows you to ask questions.
- Awesome Library - Over 14,000 sites have been classified into a directory, specifically organized for teachers, students and parents.
- Fact Monster - Reference provider Information Please produces this site.
- Quintura - Provides a web of keywords related to search terms.
- Sweet Search - A search engine for kids where every site has been approved. Great tips for better searching.
- YahooKids - Designed for ages 7 to 12. Sites are hand-picked to be appropriate for children.
Dogpile - searches several search engines at once
Clusty - Clusty queries several top search engines, combines the results, and creates a list that is organized in cluster topics.
Other Search Engines
These sites will help you to ask critical questions about the sites you find. They will help you choose the best sites.
- ICYouSee: T is for Thinking - This interactive, user-friendly site encourages critical evaluation of information found on the Web.
- Kathy Schrock's Critical Evaluation of Web Pages Tools - This site provides html,Word and pdf format guides for elementary, middle school and high school students. It also includes links to many other sites that will assist with teaching and learning about critical evaluation of web pages.
Explore these sites to learn tips and tricks of searching for information online.